Monday, June 14, 2010

Welcome Home Stanley!


I've had quite a ride working in "National Championship" cities. I launched my career in entertainment at the Breslin Center, during which time the Michigan State University basketball team earned the nice, shiny trophy. Then I moved east to work for Olympia Entertainment, the business/operating arm of the Detroit Red Wings during their Stanley Cup streak. The year I hopped over to do marketing for the Detroit Free Press, the Pistons sent me a mini-trophy to thank me for our partnership when they ultimately took the crown from the Lakers. In 2005, I moved to Chicago just before the fervor of the White Sox win. But having moved here from Hockeytown, I was shocked by the near-vacant halls of the United Center during home Blackhawks games. Witnessing the team turn around over the past three seasons, gain back this fiercely loyal sports town, and finally bring home Stanley last week... this was perhaps the most thrilling of all championship wins. I was raised on the game of hockey, complete with hosed down, backyard skating rinks. It is great to see millions of new people embrace this icy sport in the Windy City. Congrats to the team, and to the city, For The Win. (Photo: Molise PR client Garrett Popcorn Shops releases limited edition Stanley Cup tin).

No comments:

Post a Comment